AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Program
WHAT?: When groups of eagles come together in the wilderness the gathering is called a convocation. We are calling for a convocation of AV Eagles to come together on a wilderness canoe trip on Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota with up to 18 students from AVHS and elsewhere. Students can also earn an elective field science credit or a credit recovery credit in science. View photos from the 2019 trips here: Zimmerman’s Group. Lynch’s Group, Godfread’s Group, Dolphy’s Group, Grande’s Group.
WHO?: AVHS students in grades 9 – 11. Students cannot repeat this class unless they are selected as a Teacher Assistant or we do not fill the 18 slots with new campers.
- Look at the photos above!!! It was a really fun trip! You will also learn many things while out in the wilderness about yourself and the world around you.
- Opportunity to earn 1 elective field science credit (called Summer Science Institute).
- The trip runs from July 13 – 20 for summer 2022. You will be going on a canoe trip after orientation at the base camp.
- Mandatory parent/student informational meeting on a date May 12 in the Community Room at AVHS from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Presentation
- Group Team Development Monday, July 11 from 2- 4 pm. Meeting in the commons by the main entrance: Come ready to do stuff! 🙂
- Gear Drop Tuesday, July 12 between 12 – 2 pm at Main Entrance: Drop off all of your gear except what you want to have available to you on the ride on Wednesday.
- Vans Departs for camp: July 13 at 6:00 am: Be there a few minutes early to grab your gear and load it into the bus. Meet at the main entrance.
- Vans Returns to AVHS July 20 around 7:00 pm.
WHERE?: Laketrails Base Camp on Oak Island, Lake of the Woods – www.laketrails.org. Yes, it is way at to top of Minnesota! You have to briefly travel into Canada to get there. View photos of Laketrails here – http://laketrails.org/laketrails-gallery/. More information about Laketrails: Laketrails Parent Information Packet.
COST?: $550.00 for 2022 trip. Reduced cost to $200.00 for 2022 trip if you received free & reduced lunch support. We have special donation support to help up to 5 students who cannot afford the reduced $200.00 fee. If you cannot afford a reduced rate contact Mr. Lynch through Schoology or B109. Payments will be made through the My Payments Plus system
HOW DO I SIGN UP?: Use this fillable registration form OR print and complete this paper form AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Program Registration Packet in the packet and return it to Mr. Lynch in B109 by April 15.
FORMS: All of these other forms can be turned in at the mandatory parent/student meeting on May 12 in the Community Room from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Information form for trip.
- AV Eagle Convo Gear Survey: Complete the survey to let us know what size shirt you want. Use this form to let us know what you need for gear (rain top/pants, sleeping bag, etc).
- Complete this required ISD 196 overnight field trip form – > Overnight Field Trip Medical Info FORM.
- Complete this 2nd required ISD 196 from – ParentalDisclaimerforFieldTripsNotSponsoredbytheDistrict.pdf
- Complete these Laketrails Basecamp required forms. Go to this page on the Laketrails website for these:
- Youth Health History form
- Registration - Youth program
WHAT TO I BRING? “What to Bring List” from Laketrails.
Note: We will help you get what you don’t have from the list below. Don’t worry about this!
- Clothes for camping and clothes for base camp. We will supply a camera and journal for classwork.
- Sleeping bag, rain gear, hat, warm jacket, towel, swimsuit, personal hygiene items, flashlight (with batteries), water bottle.