AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Program
WHAT?: When groups of eagles come together in the wilderness the gathering is called a convocation. We are calling for a convocation of AV Eagles to come together on a wilderness canoe trip on Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota with students from AVHS and elsewhere. Students can also earn an elective field science credit or a credit recovery credit in science. View photos from the 2023 trips HERE.
WHO?: Up to 36 AVHS students in grades 9 – 11.
- Look at the photos above!!! It was a really fun trip! You will also learn many things while out in the wilderness about yourself and the world around you.
- Opportunity to earn 1 elective field science credit (called Summer Science Institute).
- The trip runs from July 15 – 23 for summer 2024. You will go on a canoe trip after orientation at the base camp.
- Mandatory parent/student informational meeting on Thursday, April 18 in the Community Room at AVHS from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Presentation
- Group Team Development Friday, July 12 from 2-4 pm. Meeting in the commons by the main entrance: Come ready to do stuff! 🙂
- Gear drop Sunday, July 14 between 12 – 2 pm at the Main Entrance: Drop off all of your gear except what you want to have available to you on the bus.
- Bus departs for camp: July 15 at 6:00 am: Be there a few minutes early to grab your gear and load it into the bus. Meet at the main entrance.
- Bus returns to AVHS on July 23 around 7:00 pm.
WHERE?: Laketrails Base Camp on Oak Island, Lake of the Woods – www.laketrails.org. Yes, it is way at to top of Minnesota! You have to briefly travel to Canada to get there. View this video about Laketrails HERE.
COST?: $800.00 for the 2023 trip. Reduced cost to $350.00 for the 2023 trip if you receive reduced lunch support available for up to 10 students. Reduced cost to $150.00 if you receive free lunch support available for up to 10 students. We have special donation support to help up to 5 students who cannot afford the free lunch fee. If you cannot afford the reduced rate contact Ms. Grande through Schoology or in the main office. She will work with these 5 students to determine how much they can pay for the program. DO NOT LET LACK OF FUNDING STOP YOU FROM REGISTERING. WE WILL FIGURE SOMETHING OUT TO HELP YOU GO.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?: Use this fillable registration form. You must also pay for the trip in the My Payments Plus system. Search for "22-23 AVHS Field Trip - AV Eagle Convo - Laketrails Base Camp". You can pay this fee in installments.
FORMS: All of these other forms can be turned in at the mandatory parent/student meeting on May 4 in the Community Room from 6:30 – 7:30 pm.
- Complete this required ISD 196 overnight field trip form – > Overnight field trip form completed as part of the My Payments Plus fee payment.
- Complete this 2nd required ISD 196 form: ParentalDisclaimerforFieldTripsNotSponsoredbytheDistrict.pdf
- Complete these Laketrails Basecamp required forms. Go to this page on the Laketrails website for these or pick up paper copies in B109 (Tech Support Office).
WHAT DO I BRING? “What to Bring List” from Laketrails.
Note: We will help you get what you don’t have from the list below. Don’t worry about this!
- Clothes for camping and clothes for base camp. We will supply a camera and journal for classwork.
- Sleeping bag, rain gear, hat, warm jacket, towel, swimsuit, personal hygiene items, flashlight (with batteries), water bottle.